dimanche 20 février 2011

Al and Leon's shim sham

Today, I learned a solo routine I've been craving to learn for a while. Ok, craving might be a little strong. But I've had this with the Trunky Doo routine too, watching it and watching it again so many times that I knew it before dancing it. Those are fascinating routines. And this one, especially, and mostly, when you watch it danced by Frida and Sakarias. I've watched this video over, and over yet again.



Meghan recently moved to Montreal from Calgary. She adopted Cat's Corner as her dance home.
I love listening to her stories about Herräng (the Mecca of swing dancing happening every July in Herräng, a little town in the North of Sweden) and all her insights about lindy hopping and swing culture and people, and we finally took the time to get together and practice our solo dance. I'm already looking forward to our next practice. As you understood, we're working on this Al and Leon's shim sham revisited by our Swedish heroes. And she sent me this link earlier today of two other Swedish dancers, Daniel and Asa, doing it. And I've had again a WOW moment with this routine. Just watch and see by yourself. This is why I'm so passionate about this dance.



The routine is not difficult in itself. We got through the routine in an hour. But the fun, tricky and most essential part is in the interpretations of each jazz steps. This is how it gets wild ! Just look at Daniel ! Isn't he cool ? like the definition of cool. Look at Asa at 1:15. Oh yes, shake it mama ! And Daniel at 1:06. When it hits the music this way, the cells in my skin start hopping.
Oh I'm having fun. Loads of fun !!!

1 commentaire:

  1. I didn't know Asa and Daniel's version... pretty cool... From Zack and Frida I prefer another version, recorded in Barcelona I think, but I don't find it in youtube anymore :(

    RépondreSupprimer

Bienvenue aux commentaires